Las Vegas Ants
Ants in general can be a nightmare when they start to invade your home. Most of us out here in Las Vegas usually reach for some raid or the windex and start to go to town on the marching ants that are traveling across our kitchen counter. These guys usually will send out there scouts and when some food or water is found guess what? They send in reinforcements. You can be overrun in as few as a couple days. The problem with trying fight this army all on your own is that you can win the battle but not the war? What do we mean by that you ask. Well when you see those soldiers marching across your kitchen counter or wall, what you are seeing is really just a fraction of the actual colony. Ant colonies can grow to millions of ants in size and the don’t usually send everyone out to get food. There behavior is very specific and coordinated for such basic and simple insects.
The ant colony is built off of three caste. Each caste perform a different duty in the colony.
– Queens are usually bigger because they are fed more when they are in the larvae stage. They lay all the eggs and have wings to fly so they can mate.
– Workers are females who are fed less in the larvae stage. Workers are wingless and will not reproduce. Their jobs are in the colony and include building the nest and taking care of the younger. Also gathering food.
– Males have wings and will fly to queens so they can mate.
How Ants Communicate
Communication is key when it comes to Ants and there order of operation. Las Vegas is home to many types of ant species. Ants like to leave phermones as they travel. When a ant goes out looking for food, they drop these phermones as the travel. On the way back they find the these phermones to guide them back to the nest. These pheromones are important so that the rest of the soldiers can find there way to and from the food source and there colony.
Stages Of Life
The lifespan of ants in Las Vegas varies inside of the colony between different caste. The Males only live for a few weeks and will die after mating. Queens can live for decades if the conditions are right and Workers will live for multiple months before dying. The Life cycle of an Ant is very interesting and can determine the course of action when trying to treat for these Pest. Ants go through metamorphosis or a complete change which consist of four stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult.
– Egg. This is where the Ant life cycle begins. Fertilized eggs become female ants, while unfertilized eggs become male ants.
– Larva. This is the second stage. The eggs hatch into a worm shape Larva which have no eyes or legs. Ant larvae eat constantly, While adult workers are constantly feeding them. Larvae grow quickly, molting several times as they get bigger.
– Pupa. After a bit of time the larva will become a Pupa. Pupae look more like adults, but their antennae and wings are folded against their bodies. In some species, the pupa spins a cocoon around itself for protection.
– Adult. The Pupa will emerge as an adult. Adult ants are full-grown. They will not get any larger at this time due to their hard exoskeleton. These adult Ants belong to one of the three caste. Queen, Worker and Males. The ants life cycle take anywhere from several weeks to several months depending on the species type.
All in all it is best to call Green Pro Pest Control. We specialize in Ants and have a vast amount of knowledge when it comes to treating these armies. Las Vegas is our home and we like to keep your home pest free.